- As businesses reopen during the COVID-19 pandemic, they must find new ways to operate that will keep their employees safe.
- In response, the CDC has issued guidance for best practices when using transportation.
- They say solo commuting is the safest way to travel right now.
- They also offer advice for staying safe when you must use public transportation.
All data and statistics are based on publicly available data at the time of publication. Some information may be out of date.
As businesses begin to reopen during the COVID-19 pandemic, they’re faced with the challenge of finding new ways to operate to keep their employees safe.
To assist businesses with this process, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recently released a set of
2020欧洲杯体育足球比分网These guidelines include recommendations for how employees can best stay safe while commuting to and from their jobs.
In particular, the CDC recommends traveling either alone or with someone you live with whenever possible.
“If you don’t live with those people,” said Labus, “it obviously increases the risk of exposure to coronavirus. By commuting individually or only sharing a car with people you live with, you minimize your exposure to others and reduce your risk of disease.”
2020欧洲杯体育足球比分网Some experts fear that this change in policy will promote heavy traffic congestion. It could also reverse gains that have been made in reducing carbon emissions.
Some groups have also that lower-income individuals and people of color might be at a disadvantage when it comes to following this guidance.
2020欧洲杯体育足球比分网In response to the criticism, the CDC did soften the original language somewhat, adding the words “if feasible” to the relevant passage.
2020欧洲杯体育足球比分网“Unfortunately,” said , DrPH, MPH, associate professor at Rutgers School of Public Health, “we can’t have it both ways. That is, we can’t minimize the potential for spread by encouraging mass transit.”
2020欧洲杯体育足球比分网Regarding lower-income workers, Raymond noted that encouraging those who can afford to travel alone to do so will ultimately help those workers who are still forced to use public transportation.
2020欧洲杯体育足球比分网Having fewer people using mass transit will give them a better chance of maintaining physical distance, he explained.
- Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds with soap and water, or use hand sanitizer with at least 60 percent alcohol before and after your trip.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with your hands.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes, throw used tissues in the trash, and wash your hands or use hand sanitizer after you cough or sneeze.
- Maintain at least 6 feet between yourself and other people who don’t live in your household.
- Wear a cloth face covering when you aren’t able to maintain physical distance between yourself and others. Wearing a mask on public transportation signals to others that you’re trying to keep the community safe in addition to yourself.
- Stay home when you’re sick or have been near someone who has COVID-19.
- Limit your travel if you’re older or have a disability or underlying health condition that puts you at greater risk.
- If you are at greater risk, bring a “transportation buddy” with you to help with any special needs that you have, such as carrying bags.
- When using public transit, stay up-to-date on any changes to services and procedures. This is especially important if you require any special assistance.
- Avoid touching things. Make use of touchless payment methods and no-touch trash cans and doors whenever possible. Wash your hands or use hand sanitizer as soon as possible after touching any frequently touched surfaces.
- Practice physical distancing. Travel during non-peak hours, if possible. Put at least 6 feet between yourself and other people. Follow any physical distancing markers like floor decals or signs that have been designated by your local transit authority.
- Practice good hand hygiene. Wash your hands and use hand sanitizer as needed.
- Improve ventilation. If you’re in your own vehicle or a passenger in a ride share or taxi, try to improve the ventilation by opening windows or setting the air ventilation or air conditioning on non-recirculation mode.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces. Use disinfecting wipes to clean any frequently touched surfaces prior to use.
2020欧洲杯体育足球比分网The CDC has recommended that the best way to avoid transmitting the virus that causes COVID-19 during your work commute is to travel alone.
While this is the best practice under ideal circumstances, it may not be possible for everyone.
2020欧洲杯体育足球比分网To assist all workers, the CDC has offered recommendations to follow when using any form of transportation — whether that’s a privately owned vehicle or some form of public transit.